Monday, March 8, 2010

Big Weekend

This weekend we celebrated Joe's dad's birthday. Also, Miriam is officially five months old.

We spent a fun Saturday pretending to be tourists in downtown Fort Worth; We visited the Omni Hotel and the Water Gardens and we took lots of pictures (which I'll have to post ASAP). I'm kicking myself that I didn't know about the Water Gardens when my family were visiting last October/November. Hopefully I'll have another opportunity to show them. We all had a good time although I think I enjoyed it more than anyone. I also found the Water Gardens to be among the most challenging navigation experiences I've had in a while with so many stairs and drop-offs with water running everywhere. Still, my record for most challenging is the Spit to Manly hike around Sydney Harbour when I last visited in 2006. That was challenging in a different way though, with so many rippled and uneven sandstone steps and rocky terrain. The Water Gardens on the other hand was just a matter of navigating over straight-edged steps, but there were gaps between each tall step with water gushing through, so although it was reasonably predictable, the stakes were higher if I made a mis-step.

On Saturday evening we donned our BYU gear and went to the BYU versus TCU basketball game. I thought the blues would be in the minority among the crowd, but boy was I surprised--we dominated. One TCU fan said we were "like cockroaches"--blue cockroaches that came up out of nowhere and took over the place! *laughs* Despite a crummy start, BYU won by thirty points.

We celebrated the birthday win with a barbecue dinner. While eating, we looked over at Miriam in her carseat to find that she had managed to pick up her little half bottle of milk left over from the car ride and was swigging away. We've never seen her do anything like this before. She changes so fast and never ceases to amaze. I suppose lingering hunger brought out her resourcefulness.

I regret to say that Miriam had her first accident on Sunday at church involving a split second, a countertop, and a hard floor. It was awful and I was sure in that moment that I was the worst mother in the world, but luckily for us all her diaper absorbed most of the impact and she has recovered a hundred times faster than me. That was the one event that marred the weekend, but thankfully no harm done and I learned a few valuable lessons, not the least of which is how precious that little firl is to me. I also think I need to learn to be more calm and constructive and less panicky and shame-filled just in case I ever have to deal with a real emergency.

I can hardly go on with this post, but the day did improve with a birthday dinner and a Sunday drive. It was in the end an enjoyable weekend and we all lived to tell the tale

5 comments:

  1. Well, are you going to tell us about it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, that's better. :-)
    I'm sorry about that first accident, but hey, it was going to happen sooner or later anyway, so at least now it's done and you can move on, enjoying all the other firsts (hopefully they'll all be joyful ones).
    I'm jealous you got to go to a BYU game. John would love that anytime, but I don't think they'll ever come to Alaska. :-(
    Well, while you're in Australia (I think) we will be in Utah. The first two weeks in April it is, and I'm really looking forward to it. It will be interesting to do some camping with two little kids and a 7-month huge belly, but hopefully we'll have some fun.
    By the way, happy International Women's Day! It's an old communist holiday we always celebrated instead of Mother's Day, but I think it's cool to celebrate women no matter what. Womanhood and motherhood rock! Literally, we rock the world, don't you think?
    Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the accident. I felt the same way when Viv fell off the bed. It's the most horrible feeling in the world.

    Other than that it sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. Love to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BYU game on sunday? That doesn't seem like Joe and Louise...perhaps a typo ;) All babies take a tumble at least once. All you can hope for is no blood and no broken bones. Water Gardens looks like a fun activity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes, I guess that was a typo; The game was on Saturday.

    Thanks to all of you for helping console me after Miriam's accident. Shoot, it could have been so much worse. I'm sure glad she didn't break anything. I'm so amazed that after hitting a tiled fllor she didn't even have any bruises. Yikes. I know what I'll never be doing again.

    ReplyDelete