Monday, July 27, 2009

July 2009 Update

I've been in and out a lot this month. Just five days after moving into our new apartment, I was off to Detroit for the annual NFB national convention. I felt the baby hiccup for the first time on the night of July 4th while in Detroit. I didn't feel it again for a long time, but for the last few days those hiccups have returned like a little pulse in my belly. As for Detroit, the city was pretty shabby in my opinion, although the Detroit Riverwalk was a pleasant surprise. I stayed in the Marriott Renaissance Center Hotel (a.k.a. the GM Building) and my room had a view of Canada across the river. Had fun with friends and got some work done including administering the braille exam yet again. Here are a few pictures from the week, although I wish I had more:
This is the Detroit Renaissance Center on the Riverwalk where we stayed.

This is me with my Cambodian/Californian friend Terri Rupp who is due to have a baby a few weeks after me. She's married to a fire-fighter and they live in Vegas but we were once neighbors at the Louisiana Center for the Blind.
This is me at lunch with my buddies Heath, the country boy from Louisiana, and Deja my old friend from Utah. I was feeling under-dressed.
Just a day after arriving home from Detroit, we drove back to San Antonio for Amanda Taylor's wedding. Amanda is Joe's littlest step sister. The wedding was beautiful and it was nice to see so many friends. I stayed a few extra days to hang out with the family. My sister-in-law Ashley and my friend Lori were nice enough to throw me a baby shower. Here are some pictures that Ashley put together to remember the event:
Thanks girls! I'm so blessed to have so many wonderful family members and friends.

Back in Fort Worth, Joe was able to take me out on a Saturday night in "Cow Town". He drove me past where he works in the city and he took me to see the new Harry Potter movie. We found out that Fort Worth is a pretty happening place at night. All the trees are lit up with lights and there are plenty of people and live music around. We're looking forward to spending a few more Saturday nights out.

We also took a second trip back to San Antonio this past weekend because Joe had to give a presentation at an MD/PhD retreat. Now we're back "home" in Fort Worth for a good while I hope. I say "home" because with so much coming and going it's been a slow transition into feeling like it's actually home, but I think I'm getting there.

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow. You are so cute with your bump! I'm so sorry that I missed your shower. I couldn't make it up that weekend, but email me your new address, okay? I want to send that baby something.

    Good luck in your new place! I hope you find a sewing buddy. (I hope I do too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you love the baby hiccups or do they drive you nuts? This baby isn't hiccupy at all, but Maggie got them at least once a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to hear from you both!

    Susie: Thankfully those hiccups don't stick around for too long, so I haven't been driven bonkers yet. On occasion I've caught myself giving my belly a slap in response to a movement that has taken me by surprise. I hope that doesn't make me a bad mother.
    How's your little boy bump doing? Are your hips killing you yet?

    Jan: Thanks for keeping in touch! How's the valley treating you? No sewing buddies yet for me, although I'm not in any hurry to start any projects right now. I guess I'm not quite as die-hard as I could be. I do believe I've found my thrift store shopping partner though -- Natalie Lunt. She says there are some good ones around here. I'll e-mail you my address in case you find yourself passing through some day. :)

    ReplyDelete