Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Rissoles

Last night we had our good friends Jan (my sewing buddy) and Ben Francisco over for dinner. They are moving this week and I'm very sad. I made rissoles with mashed potatoes, gravy, and carrots. a.k.a. a good Aussie meal. Rissoles are kind of like savory meatballs.

Ingredients
2 lbs ground beef (mince) or turkey
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup breadcrumbs (or cornflake crumbs or oats)
1/3-1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup chopped onion (or to taste)
onion salt, to taste
fresh ground pepper, to taste
sea salt, to taste
garlic powder, to taste
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce (to taste)
vegetables (you can add any leftover veggies you may have on hand, if desired) (optional)
olive oil (for frying)

Directions
1. Place all ingredients in mixing bowl; mix well.
2. Roll into golf ball size meatballs.
3. Heat oil in heavy frying pan.
4. Cook meatballs in oil over medium heat, turning as needed, until each side is quite well done and very browned.
5. Serve with beef gravy.

Just as a side-note, in my 7th grade agriculture class, we had a cow that someone named Rissole. So funny.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds really yummy, probably because I love meatballs. I made them last week, actually, and the recipe is almost the same as yours, except I didn't put carrots in it and I used Parmesan cheese instead of bread crumbs (I didn't have any at the time). We ate it with spaghetti sauce and macaroni. Do you eat rissole with something besides the gravy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rissoles are generally served with mashed potatoes, and vegies like carrots, peas, and corn. Also, rissoles are often served with worcestershire sauce or ketchup instead of beef gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was totally delicious, too. I could have eaten all of them myself.

    ReplyDelete