Friday, January 29, 2010

Politically Correct or Actually Correct


I enjoy thinking of little things about my childhood that would seem unusual for children today. Granted, I grew up in Australia, not the USA.
These days there is so much to do with the seperation of church and state. Christmas is typically discouraged in state schools, at least in the US, but I need to check up on today's Australia. When I was in elementary school we had "scripture". Every Friday our class "scripture teacher", a community volunteer, would come and teach an hour-long lesson on Bible stories. We each had an age-appropriate workbook full of illustrated worksheets to complete. When I was in fifth grade, we had an LDS combined class (of about three or four of us from the whole school) which i think my mum taught, but I can't remember , but until that point , everyone just had a generic christian lesson together with all the other kids in their regular class.
I like the idea of scripture in school. So long as Christian values are being taught, and parents can teach the finer points of doctrine at home. I think the home is still the primary place to teach values, but it would be ideal if schools would also include values in their curriculum. Having said that, I get the impression that schools today often teach left-of-center values. Of course, they are not taught as values though, they are taught as truths. So, I guess by values I really mean truths. Of course, I don't believe most so-called truths to actually be true. Some overarching so-called truths of the popular left are:
We have to save the earth because we bad humans are destroying it.
Ancient/primative cultures were more peaceful and earth-respecting than today's cultures.
Homosexuality is as good as heterosexuality.
Islam, Buddhism, and atheism are as good in every respect as Christianity.
Europeans are more refined and enlightened than Americans.
Some people are bad because their environment causes them to be that way.
Equality is more important than freedom.
...Just to state a few of my perceptions. Some might want to challenge these, and they're probably right that I could better phrase them, but you get the point I hope. My perception at least is that some are taught overtly, such as the save the earth stuff and the homosexuality stuff. Of the subvert doctrines, I think kids get the idea that Europeans are better than Americans perhaps because of high-end fashion and also I've heard many young adults say things like "I just love meeting people from other countries. They're so interesting and all the Americans are so milk-toast. (I actually heard this from someone teaching a young Women lesson at church! Even being the only non-American in the room, I thought of correcting her, but figured a debate would only drag things further off topic.) I think the statement is more a case of the grass being greener on the other side. It assumes that the values of people from other countries are superior to American values. Yes, it's great meeting people from other countries, but it's very simplistic to say that Americans are generally boring or somehow not as good.
I started out just to record a little memory of my childhood, but then my brain went off on this tangent. I admit that I haven't refined these statements or my thoughts yet, but in a general way, I believe my objections to be correct.
The bottom line is, (and I paraphrase from one of my favorite writers/speaker, Dennis Prager) "The notion of political correctness by nature is in opposition to truth or actual correctness."

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your thoughts on the matter. I must say in Europe I found it odd that at a restaurant, the (there were a couple before him that hadn't said anything)waiter was shocked and insistent that I should never give any waiter my credit card. That it should never leave my sight. I guess the custom there is for them to bring a portable charge card swiper to the table. I didn't know this and of course am used to the American tradition of them carrying it off to the computer station. He said it is not smart to let it out of my sight because people could write the numbers down...I found it odd because we do this ALWAYS in the states. Are Americans more honest and in the same breath more trusting than Europeans?? I don't know but Michelle did say this: When she traveled to Spain she was shocked to find out that Spaniards will look the other direction when crimes are being committed. From not telling your friend you know their spouse is cheating to seeing rapes and murders in the street and not reporting it. I found it shocking. It's not to blanket statement the country as being corrupt, but you know in the US of A, we love our heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading "Liberal Fascism" (good book BTW) and Jonah Goldberg says that the self-absorption and disinterest that some show for others is a result of a belief that it's not their "job" to intervent into other people's lives because "society" (e.g., The Nation or government) takes care of all of that. This results in total abdication of responsibility for other people and for one's self. This is reflected in the decreased charitable donations and a general degradation of community neighborliness. When you never get to know your neighbor and everybody has a safety net, then it doesn't really matter when you steal from them.

    ReplyDelete